Monday, January 11, 2016

Refiner's Fire

I'm on strike from washing dishes so I've run out of normal utensils... whisks don't work very well to eat cake. 
Just kidding about the strike. I did eat the cake with a whisk, though.​ Just for fun.


Well this week was one of those faith testers. In the end, I came out stronger, but it was tough. I will share two examples of the unfortunate blessings.

Example One: on Tuesday Elder Chamberlain took my spot in the area. He and Elder Harker found a lady named Ana who seemed to be really cool and wanted to be baptized. The return appointment was for Friday, but we stopped by really quickly on Thursday to meet her husband. The next day, Friday, when we brought some members by for the lesson we found a note that said she was done meeting with us. 😟 That usually just means that God has someone else for us to teach, so I'm not too worried. 

Example Two: José Luis (Pepe) Hernandez has been preparing since the beginning of December to get baptized. He is the brother of a member and has been progressing almost perfectly since we started teaching him. We were working for Jan 17th for his baptism. A week ago on the 3rd, we moved it up to the 10th. The problem was Wednesday (the 6th) when we had the Interview. We stopped by to see if his interview was still going to happen. He said yes, but he also said he didn't feel ready to be baptized; he said that next month would probably be good. That might sound okay, but from a missionary's perspective "sometime next month" means never. One month later means Satan has 4 or 5 more weeks to change their mind. 

Even after the baptismal interview he still wasn't wanting to do it. We had another lesson with him on Friday with his sister (member) and another member, with no effect. He wasn't even willing to say a prayer for us. So basically Friday night was a bad night. We weren't too stoked that night. But we did not give up hope. After fasting and a lot of prayer we had the necessary revelation to plan a great lesson on Saturday that led him to choose the 15th as his baptismal date. The original date was the 17th, so the 15th is a wonderful date. It is a thousand times better than "next month." The next day, Sunday, Pepe was at church more than 20 minutes early. He was there before we were. In a new button up shirt he bought for church. Basically, he is doing great now.

I kind of feel like this lady, but not really... same idea I guess. I hope I learned something like she did.


​I love you all, have a​ great life!

Elder Larkin Moss




No comments:

Post a Comment